Saturday, March 7, 2009

Amazing Omelet

Last Christmas, the company Joe works for had its Christmas party at "Breakfast with Santa" at the Grand America Hotel in SLC. The food was fabulous, especially the omelets, which were made to order while you waited. I took the opportunity to observe their chef's omelet-making-techniques as he prepared my omelet. Here are a few things I learned that have made my omelets much tastier.
First, saute the vegetables and meat in a skillet before adding them to the omelet. (Maybe this is obvious, but I'd never thought of it).
As the egg begins to set in the pan, carefully slide the cooked part out of the way, and tip the pan so the runny portion fills the empty space.
(Unfortunately, I did not see how the chef solved the problem of having uncooked egg remaining on top of the omelet, so I carefully flip the entire thing over before placing the filling on and folding it. If you have any suggestions, let me know. :) )

Ingredients:

vegetables and meat of your choice such as . . .
mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, onions, ham, sausage, etc.

Saute the vegetables until crisp-tender. Set aside.

Heat a small skillet sprayed with cooking spray (if the veggies didn't stick to the pan too much, I use the same skillet that I used before).

In a small bowl combine
2 eggs
splash of milk

Whip the eggs and milk with a wire whisk or fork until well mixed. Pour eggs into skillet and cook as directed above. After egg is cooked through, place sauteed veggies/meat and cheese on half, fold over, and serve.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Kristin, this is Angie Dodds. I love checking in now and then for some recipe ideas. I still need to make your Italian Sausage and Shells. It makes me salivate just to think about it!
Your omelet tips are great! I need to make them more often. The only suggestion I have for cooking the top, without flipping it, is to put a lid on the pan at the end for a minute or two. That ought to cook the top.
Thanks again for the yumminess! Your family is so cute!

Kristin Van De Graaff said...

Thanks for your ideas! I will definitely have to put the lid on when I cook omelets next time. Hope you're all doing well!

Chelise said...

Some day I will grow up and become a chef like Kristin. It's my life's ambition :).